Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Soapbox


Alright, I am blaming my good friend Mrs, Dub for my sudden need to blog about the upcoming Presidential election. She just HAD to bring it up as one of her Hot Topics which got me thinking about it all over again and since Nathan refuses to argue with me anymore about politics I will just have to vent for all my family and friends who happen to wonder onto my blog. I feel paralyzed by my choices in this year's presidential election. I have always been a card carrying republican. I believe that Americans should be given the ability to decide what they want to do within their own families and with their hard earned money. So normally, when this election process comes around, I have no trouble deciding who to vote for. I walk in that polling booth and check Republican- easy as pie! But all of a sudden I am torn about what to do. I don't like John McCain, there I have said it- good thing my father doesn't read this blog or else I would be in big trouble (I may be disavowed as a member of my family). I have tried to like him, I've tried to jump on the band wagon in order to stop another Clinton from taking office but I just can't do it. I think he is too old, too liberal, too soft on immigration, too uneducated about the economy, and too gung-ho about the war. Now, don't get me wrong, I am in favor of the war but I am starting to wonder why we are spending $11 billion a MONTH fighting a war to protect people who are charging us $4 a gallon for gas (yes, I realize there are many nuances of the oil industry that I am missing in that statement but that is how I see it, so deal). Maybe we could be spending that $11 billion on researching new energy sources, or getting out of debt, or fixing the problems with Social Security so that the money I am paying into the program right now will actually be there when I retire.
So that then brings me to the Democrat candidates- Obama or Clinton? I must say I actually spent a split second pondering if I should vote for Barack. I figured, a nice young guy- seems smart enough and his wife doesn't totally bug me. And best of all- HE ISN'T A CLINTON!! I think I would vote for Elmo if it kept Hillary Clinton from being elected- I would never want her representing our country or the female population. So I decided to do some research on Obama- needless to say, I was NOT happy with what I found. Turns out, he's just as liberal as Clinton (if not more) he just comes in prettier packaging (and without Bill). I think the day he came out in favor of driver's licenses for illegal immigrants was the day I threw my hands up in disgust and lamented my current situation!
So my new plan of attack- I AM NOT VOTING IN THIS YEAR'S PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION.
I am staying home and forsaking my I VOTED sticker. I feel like whatever decision I made, I would walk out of the booth feeling mad at myself so I am giving up and allowing all you people, who are not undergoing this great moral dilemma, to choose my next president. In turn, I promise not to complain about whomever you choose for the next four years. There, I have made my peace, I am stepping down now...
P.S.- Daddy, please don't hate me :)

6 comments:

Debbie Bond said...

we could never hate you - we raised you to be a thinker and that is exactly what you are. I am sorry you feel your vote does not count and perhaps by Nov. you will feel different. I agree with your assessment of Hillary, and Barack scares the pants off me. But ol John McCann, if he chooses a good VP might still be a good choice. Think about it. We are so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

I think I might just write-in Mitt Romney. And I didn't decide I liked him just because he's LDS. I thought he was the most level-headed of all the candidates. I know what you mean though, it looks like I'll be boycotting political news for the next four years...

heatherdevlin said...

i agree... its my first time i gfet to vote and i refuse to do it. im afraid for the future of our country....

sign of the times....

James and Rebecca said...

Well stated Michele. Our precious country could be in trouble. I will vote for McCain IF he makes Romney VP.
Anyway, I just added you to our blog. You should do the same.
Cali huh? We heard from Matt and Cort. How is the adjustment?

Angie Orison said...

I totally agree with you!! Ky and I thought we wanted to vote for Obama mainly because we don't like anyone else, especially Hillary...I am glad you researched him though because I didn't know everything about him!! Hope you're enjoying Cali!!

Mrs. Dub said...

OK, somehow i missed this post until now. i've been having a lot of brain freezes as of late.

anyway - i love you no matter who or what you vote for or don't.

personally, i'm voting for target. i think it's time corporations could run for office.