Sunday, November 11, 2007

Why did I bother to read the books??

Ok, so no pictures this time, this is my own personal rant about my life right now. Now, don't get me wrong- I love our son, he is a beautiful and precious gift and we are so lucky that he is here and healthy. My problem is with the many, many books that I read about raising our child during my pregnancy. While reading these books I often pictured my angel baby gently falling asleep in his crib while Nathan and I stared at his beautiful happy face. I imagined that I would know exactly what to do in every situation that arose because I had not only read the books- oh no, I had read them, memorized them, and then annotated them (I was suddenly back in high school english class with my highlighter and post-it notes). So when my child arrived I felt like I was fully prepared to be the world's best mom. The first weeks, as my child slept 90% of the time and awoke only to eat, I felt like I was doing great- my books had served me well. And then Lincoln turned three weeks old and my books suddenly turned against me. I tried for several weeks to stick with what my beloved books were saying (after all, they had never failed me before). It took two weeks, several nights of screaming (Lincoln, not me), and many tearful meltdowns (Me, not Lincoln) before I had a sudden epiphany- OUR CHILD DOES NOT FOLLOW THE BOOK!! Now this has been a very hard lesson for me to learn but Nathan has been very kind to gently remind me that Lincoln is not a textbook baby. This is the first time that my beloved books have ever failed me, it was disappointing to say the least but I am slowly learning to be a go with the flow mom (although Nathan will tell you that I am not great at it- yet!) So, stayed tuned for my many attempts at being a more laid back mom- we'll see if Lincoln and I will survive each other!

5 comments:

Holly D. said...

Hang in there Michele - I absolutely know how you feel. I had the same meltdowns and frustrations (still do). I quickly realized as well that Peyton is NOT a textbook baby. Babies have their own unique personalities and what may work for some, will not work for others. Even crazier, what works for Lincoln one day, may not work the next. Don't worry about being perfect - you know what's best. The fact that you worry at all makes you a great mom. So what if you have to hold or rock Lincoln to get him to sleep . . . so what if he has to sleep with you to sleep right now. . . He will grow up fast and one day you will want these days back when he let you hold him and rock him. Enjoy every minute of it. It doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful.

Debbie Bond said...

I know you are struggling right now, but Lincoln is such a sweet cute baby that if I was you, I would just hold him all day long anyway - to heck with what the books say. Lincoln will grow up way too fast and some day really soon you will want him to snuggle in your arms. I can remember wishing that when Matt left on his mission - I just wanted to hold him and have him be a little baby again. Your Dad and I have watched you these last weeks - You are such a fantastic mother and Lincoln is such a lucky baby. Hang in there - how about we go get a pedicure and all will be fine.

Susie said...

I'm ashamed to say this, but I was just plain dumb when I had Mandy- I don't think I even read one book!! The best advice I got was from all the other moms- after all they were living in the trenches!! So my advice to you- you can never hold or rock your baby too much, give him a bath at night, sleeping in bed with you won't last forever, and it's okay to still be in your pajamas from the night before while your making dinner!! Hang in there!

Kim said...

It's been almost TWO years you mean!! I have not seen you since I left for Europe! And you and Nate moved into your BYU apt!!! That's crazy....I don't think I will make it out for New Years, but I'm working on it. But with my new job starting up, I will be able to come out there on my days off whenever I want, so I will make it sooner than later!!!

The Stokes said...

Books smooks. I don't think I've ever followed any. Every baby is different and as Holly says, do what you need to make it work. You don't have to be perfect, hey I'm not perfect (far from it if I do say so) and my kids haven't turned out too bad. Cry and have as many meltdowns as you need, figuring out a baby is hard work and once you've figured them out, they decide to change on you. You guys are doing fine. He's so cute and getting big. Give him kisses from all of us. We love you, hang in there!