Monday, February 15, 2010

Our Week in the Hospital

So by now I'm sure everyone has heard that our little Reagan was in the hospital last week with a bad case of RSV. Here's the details about our crazy week...

Reagan started wheezing on and off last Monday after having a cold for most of the previous weekend. On Tuesday she was wheezing pretty constantly and I thought it sounded like she was breathing hard. Our good friends stopped by on their way to dinner so that THE P.A. (his new superhero title) could check her out and tell me if we needed to get her checked out. He listened to her breath and sent us packing to the urgent care. So Reagan and I headed out to the doctor.
We finally got in to see someone at the Urgent Care. After two breathing treatments, a steroid, and a chest xray still didn't stop her wheezing the doctor came in and told me he was calling the paramedics to transfer her to Valley Children's Hospital. I had been trying to hold it together up to that point but when the paramedics strapped her into her carseat and put her on the stretcher I very nearly lost it.
That night in the ER seemed never ending. Nate and his dad had come to give Reagan a blessing and then Nate and I just sat there with our poor wheezing daughter. We were finally admitted to the hospital around 5am and after Reagan got used to the breathing tube up her nose, she got some much needed sleep.
The next five days were a blur... we had great nurses and doctors who took care of our daughter and we are so thankful that we have such a wonderful pediatric hospital close by. Everyone who took care of her commented on how cute and chubby she was- I think every nurse on the floor had to squeeze her chubby thighs!

Enjoying her toys after a very long night


She hated her breathing tube, I don't really blame her


Our home away from home for five days, notice
the SUPER comfy sofa bed by the window (my neck is still recovering)


the annoying foot monitor that came off about every 10 seconds


Feeling a little better

She would only sleep sideways in her crib

A very big THANK YOU to all of our friends and family who took care of Lincoln, made us meals, and called. Although I was physically exhausted I always felt bouyed up by the outpouring of love and support from so many people. A thousand THANK YOUS!!

8 comments:

Susie said...

So glad she's home- wish we could have been there to help out!

Holly D. said...

Wow, quite the week! I am so glad to hear that she is feeling better, and I must say, Reagan is just too cute, even when she is sick. What a little doll. I hope you guys can get some much needed rest this week.

Rach said...

I am sooo happy that everything is alright. I really am. A friend of ours took their son to the hospital for a simple fever last week, and he passed away the next morning while still at the hospital. It has made me realize how precious life is how much I need to show my kids that I love them.
I am so glad that your precious little Reagan is feeling better!

Mrs. Dub said...

I was just about to email your mom, but I thought I'd check her first. SO glad to hear the R is on the mend. Imogene spent a weekend in the hospital before Christmas due to a perfect storm of infections, and this brought back way too many memories ... including the annoying toe monitors and "beds" for parents. I think our chubby gals are soulmates. Let's hope they can stay healthy!

Debbie Bond said...

Oh sweet Reagan - grandma and grandpa bond would give anything to hold you. We will be there soon to give you and brother lots of loves and buy you lots of toys!!

Carroll B said...

You are very welcome! She is a little part of our family because I believe that you and I were separated at birth so Reagen should be my niece! : ) We love you guys and are very glad she is ok and you are recovering into "normal" life again. : )

Christa said...

Nothing compares to the stress of having a sick child. She has changed so much since we saw her last - beautiful little girl. Glad to hear she turned the corner and is doing better. She has been in our prayers. Greg

lacey said...

Oh man! Such a stresser. I was just checking in on you and was catching up. Having sick kids only makes me count my blessings even more that they are healthy most the time. I am so sorry, but am glad your family was well taken care of. And Reagan looks so sweet... even so sick.

So happy for the truck and the concert you went to! We blew threw fresno to Sanger for Christmas time but a bit of the stomach bug hit us- not that bad. It was a fast short trip back home.

Next time we're in town- I'll give you a call.
So nice to look into your sweet little world... hugs