Wednesday, December 5, 2007

To swing or not to swing???



So, as most of you know, Lincoln does not sleep well on his own. He almost always wakes up about 45min into his naps, screaming, and since his doctor insisted that we get him to sleep as long as possible I have been holding him while he sleeps (yes- I know I am creating bad habits but what can I do?) So I discovered yesterday that I can put Lincoln in his swing while still awake and not only will it put him to sleep, if he wakes up in it he is happy to just lay there staring. This means that I have a good 1-2 hours to shower, clean, do laundry, and cook dinner. So here is my dilema... I can't help but feel like a neglectful parent when I put him in the swing and leave him. In fact, I have been known to get upset with Nathan for putting Lincoln in the swing, telling him that he is using it as a "substitute parent". So I am asking for everyone's opinion on the swing issue... am I a neglectful parent or just a resourceful one?

4 comments:

The Stokes said...

Definately RESOURCEFUL! Don't feel guilty, a baby needs to be able to entertain themselves and rely on themselves to get to sleep. As I've told you I have had my kids sleep all night in the swing when necessary. And sometimes it is. I promise, there is nothing wrong with putting him in the swing. You need to have time to do the things that you need...if you don't you'll lose your identity. (Trust me)We love you guys and your are doing great!

Kim said...

TO SWING!

Mrs. Dub said...

sorry to come into this so late - but SWING AWAY, my friend. first kids can make you feel really guilty because you have a mental image of being a good mom and it doesn't involve incessant swinging. but remember, it also doesn't involve incessant crying. your sanity means a lot! let the boy swing!

Debbie Bond said...

USE THE SWING - there are many happy healthy children out there who were in the swing. It is not an instrument of torture and if he likes it, I say go for it. And the reality of it is that as soon as he likes the swing, he will start to hate it and you will have to go on to something else. Relax and enjoy the cutest bubbie in the world.